Tuesday 11 May 2010

Anathema

Just a brief thought, this time about the band Anathema. Starting out as one of the 'Peaceville Trio' of death/doom metal, along with My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost (only MDB still play the style), they have since moved on to a more relaxing form of music that often resembles mainstream acts such as Keane and Snow Patrol, but still with the gloomy complexion and more minimalistic songs, which to me are simultaneously catchier and less annoying - whether this is because of their background I'm not sure, possibly clouding my vision in this respect.

Nonetheless, they play thoroughly enjoyable music, their recent album 'Hindsight' being acoustic reinterpretations of previous, heavy songs - not the 'MTV Unplugged' abomination it sounds like - which work surprisingly well! I'd like to hear more opinions on them, if possible, as I'm not entirely sure why they haven't broken into the mainstream with their newer material.

On that matter, if anybody's reading, I urge you to post a comment! That way I get some feedback, which could help me to mould my writing style and subjects, and also lets me know that all this writing is worth it in the first place - keeping a diary that nobody else reads has always seemed like a narcissistic, self-indulgent thing to me, and I wouldn't like that to be the case with this blog!

Anyhow, here's a link to 'Fragile Dreams', off the aforementioned 'Hindsight' album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZrp0Wlkgg

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you not mention names please. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete