Thursday 24 June 2010

One cook makes a broth.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... exams are finally over. I expected a sort of climactic feeling, but I have none, just one of calm relief, the sort that you'd expect you'd get lying on your deathbed at the end of an ordeal. I expected to have a feeling of euphoria akin to several hundred simultaneous orgasms, but no. Just this feeling of freedom.

It could just be that it's taking a while for the feeling to settle in; I certainly have to keep pinching myself to remind myself that yes, I am actually free of my shackles, binding me to the feeling that I have to keep grinding, trying to pull these GCSE results out of the bag. I've always been sure that I had the potential, I just wasn't too sure about the willpower. But now I'm quietly confident of decent enough results to continue my Oxbridge aspirations.

Anyway, let's move off the ego-trip. As I now have GLORIOUS freedom, I will be blogging a lot more. Thus I need stuff to blog about. I feel that this can be partially sated by keeping a closer eye on the news, but I would like people to suggest interesting topics for me to cast my ire upon. Or praise, it depends what it is. But probably ire. As you may have guessed, I don't praise much.

I would write briefly about the budget which has just been released, but in all honesty, right now I neither know enough already or can be bothered to do enough research to write a suitable piece on it. So there is one planned, but how close to fruition it is, or indeed whether or not it will actually come into existence is unsure. In the meantime, those of you who are desperate to hear more of my political omniscience, I want to write a small summary of my views on extreme right politics.

Whilst in years gone long by, extreme right politics were the norm, as in the poor continued to be poor, the rich continued to be rich, and anyone different was burned at the stake, but nowadays, thankfully they are something of a minority belief. We haven't really had a bad case of extreme racial prejudice since the demise of the original Nazis in 1945, although we have had other smaller cases, for instance apartheid, the National Front (who, I might add, might have considered rhymes before choosing their name to protect against misnomers) against immigrants in the UK, and America against all who don't follow their 'Christian' conservative values.

However, extreme right wing parties are certainly getting a lot more mainstream press coverage, enough so that a UKIP candidate stood at my school's mock election (although fortunately he only got 3% of the votes), and that the EDL are planning to make a series of demonstrations across the UK that are well-publicised enough for counter-demonstrations to have to be planned. If there was one in York, I'd be going, but hopefully the whole thing will have been crushed to nothing by the time they get to such low population cities.

Let me get this straight, if I haven't already; extreme right political believers are scum. They should not be persecuted based on it, otherwise one becomes as bad as them, but rather exposed to their flaws and absolutely demonised. A great number of them are ill-educated, and thus their malleable minds will instantly jump to anyone who offers a scapegoat to their problems that are often their own fault. Case in point: Germany in 1933 had extreme economic problems, so the public voted the Nazi party in. As this was such an extreme time, even those who would normally have more political nonce felt obliged to vote Nazi based on the 'common enemy' principal.

Along similar lines, this is why I feel that better political education should be enforced in schools. Starting in year 6, or the last year of primary school, children would be taught about politics about once a week, which could replace some of the less useful lessons about. Although it is argued that this education already exists through citizenship lessons, having experienced 3 years of those myself, I can say they're frankly inadequate in terms of politics, albeit quite effective in scaring year 7 kids off sex and alcohol for a year or two.

However, it could be very difficult to get enough teachers to teach this from truly impartial perspectives. Those who have no political views would be useless, as they are generally just dumb by the time they get to their mid 20s if none have yet developed, and those who are keen enough to teach the subject would also have developed strong political views that would be difficult to hide during lessons. I still wonder how a friend of mine's father - who is a professor of politics at Leeds - manages.

Anyway, I sort of derailed from the initial intention of my post, but let's face it, that happens in most posts, and I still managed to put across my point, I feel. Back to my simmering in a half-slumberous position in this spinny computer chair, to those of you that have read my early posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment