Friday 18 June 2010

The 5 club: black metal

I swear, I wince every time I type that name; if I can think of a better one in the future, I'll go back and change them all. Anyway...

Altar Of Plagues
Unfortunately underappreciated by many, Altar Of Plagues are probably one of the best black metal exports from the Republic Of Ireland since... the dawn of time itself. This incredibly atmospheric stuff is some of the best BM Ireland ever has produced, discounting the more doomy leanings of Primordial, and I'd like to offer a sample of this, from their only full length, 'White Tomb'.


Sarcofago
Always undergroud during their existence, Sarcofago were one of the pioneers of the Brazilian black/thrash scene, and, in my opinion, their debut album 'I.N.R.I.' was better than anything Sepultura ever have, or ever will release. This is an excerpt off that pioneering debut album, with hilarious mistranslations, for example 'If you are a false... don't entry'.


Anaal Nathrakh
A UK band from recent times, Anaal Nathrakh create a nihilistic mixture of black metal and grindcore, coupled with misanthropic lyrics that appear to have come from a completely disturbed mind! But it's black metal, so that's not exactly abnormal. This is my favourite song of theirs, coming from 2004 album 'Domine Non Es Dignus'.


Code
Okay, so this band's actual name fucked up my itunes list post, due to there being arrows (<>) around the name. 'Nouveau Gloaming' from 2005 was a fairly standard interpretation of DSBM (for those who aren't in the know, DS stands for Depressive Suicidal), but 2009 effort 'Resplendent Grotesque' is quite literally one of my favourite albums of all time: (the first seven seconds shouldn't be there)


Mutiilation
One of the INCREDIBLY TERRIFYING LLN (Les Legiones Noires), Mutiilation were (having split up in December 2009) predominantly a one man act; however, I feel that EP 'Hail Satanas We Are The Black Legions', from when they were a full band, is probably their best release. This is 'Desecrate Jesus' Name' from said release.

No comments:

Post a Comment