Thursday 3 June 2010

The 5 club: hardcore punk

Okay, I thought I'd start a mini-series sort of thing, detailing 5 bands beneath the surface of genres (i.e. out of the 5 major bands) that I believe are worth looking into. Seasoned veterans of the genres will probably know all of these bands, so this is really for people who've only heard the main progenitors of the style and want to look deeper into it. I must stress, however, that these are in no way definitive: they're simply 5 bands that popped into my head, in an arbitrary manner, as noteworthy. And so we begin...

Converge
Closest of my five bands to the metal scene that I'm so much into, Converge really revolutionized the hardcore scene with 2001's 'Jane Doe', before the somewhat lacklustre 'You Fail Me', a return to form with 'No Heroes' in 2006, and a movement towards the mathy scene with last year's Terrorizer Album Of The Year 'Axe To Fall'.


Modern Life Is War
Modern Life truly embody my idea of real emo - the strain on the vocals is audible, and the lyrics deal with personal issues rather than the political norm of hardcore. This song is off their best album in my opinion, 'Witness', and truly shows their general awesomeness.



Trap Them
Oh okay, maybe Trap Them are closer to metal than Converge. Nonetheless, their pedigree is astounding, and their aggression tops it. 2008 album 'Seizures In Barren Praise' is amazing, and this track is a perfect example off it.


Life Long Tragedy
Another one on the melodic hardcore axis, LLT are slightly less well known than MLIW, but make the same sort of heart-wrenching, yet pummeling hardcore. This one's off 'Destined For Anything'.


Discharge
Despite being large progenitors of the whole aptly named 'Discore' scene, surprisingly few people would think of Discharge when hardcore punk is mentioned. They are a fantastic band, and this, off the revolutionary album 'Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing' is a great political rant.



Many thanks go to -Spanner for all the work she's done, getting me embed codes whilst youtube wasn't working for me.


Persona 101

No comments:

Post a Comment