Friday 23 July 2010

A Food Post You Ask? Heavens No!

So, after finally getting round to watching "Julie & Julia" a few days ago, coupled with my sudden increase of lactose intolerance (6 hours of indigestion after a mini-muffin? COME ON.), I have rediscovered a passion for cooking that seemed to have been muffled by copious amounts of food coursework that hit me (and Persona 101, presumably) about a third of the way through Year 11.

Tonight, this has started, after a lucky google search, and an amazing whim on my mum's part, with cashew nut brittle. Who knew that melting sugar could be so hard? Why did nobody tell me that in the time it takes to spread the mix out on a baking try to cool, the remaining sugar in the pan will have hardened to a state only comparable to concrete? However, despite the fact it took longer to scrub the solidified sugar out of the pan than it did to make the brittle itself, the finished result looks rather good, if not a little clumpy. But nothing is perfect first time, right? More sugar and better crushed cashews next time I think. Although not making it at 9:30pm again may help somewhat too.

Next, I may dare to venture into the world of cakes, as practically ALL the cookie recipes I've found contain copious amounts of peanut butter or chocolate, the former of which no-one else in my house likes, and the latter I find myself going off of rather quickly.

Wish me luck! I'll be back as soon as I've wiped the cake mix from the kitchen walls.

-Hlctwh93

No comments:

Post a Comment